Saturday, December 31, 2011

I Hate Going To The Video Store...

I have five kids, so going to The Video Store for me is a huge event... a very unpleasant huge event.
I rent videos for myself, and someone gets sick, or the girls have a lot of homework, or Yum Yum is up crying all night, and I never seem to get a chance to sit down and watch my movie.  Also, I can never seem to make it to return my videos on time.

After Yum Yum was born, I had to spent a lot of late nights feeding him, and comforting him, so I decided to subscribe to Netflix.  I have Frontier Fios internet (read: super duper high speed fiber optic internet).  I also have a Mac Mini that is connected to our television, so we can surf the internet from our tv.

For me, Netflix was a godsend.  I could watch whatever I wanted, whenever I wanted.  If someone turned off the computer, or needed me Netflix would save my spot on my movie, and I could pick up where I left off.  If I didn't like the show I clicked on, I could just find something else.  And best of all I didn't have to make the trek to The Video Store, with The Whole Crew.  And I only have to pay $7.99 a month, and I pay it automatically with my PayPal.

So for my blog post today, I thought I would do a list of our current favorite tv shows and movies on Netflix.

My Current Favorite Shows and Movies
  • Clean House (funny show about cluttered homes, fine to watch with the kids)
  • The Tudors (I watch this like three hours after my kids are asleep, definitely not family friendly, but I love it sooo much!)
  • Top O' The Morning (Bing Crosby, awesome, family friendly, everyone should see this movie)
  • Forgive Me, Father (British comedy set in 1950s England about Catholic priests' daily life in a small parish, too funny.  family friendly)
  • Destination Truth (pretty family friendly, some episodes can be a little scary.  a group investigates real life reports of mythical creatures, pretty funny, they never really find much)
My Husband's Current Favorite Shows
  • Dirty Jobs (family friendly, the kids like it, I think it's boring, and don't watch this while you are eating) 
  • How It's Made (family friendly, educational, nice quiet show)
  • Ax Men (it's about loggers, so not quite so family friendly with the language and whatnot,  the husband likes it, but I usually facebook while this is on)
  • Myth Busters (family friendly, semi-kind-sorta-educational in theory, or so my husband claims... they pretty much like to build things to test out urban myths, and then blow whatever they made up...  maybe not such a good idea to watch if you have a curious, resourceful child) 
  • Pawn Stars (I must admit that I love this show, it is like Antique's Road show, only with a little swearing, family bickering, and stranger items, something to watch after the kids are asleep) 
Shows My Husband and I Can Actually Agree On and Watch Together

  • Being Human (watch this after the kids are in bed, British show about a ghost, vampire, and a werewolf that live together in England amidst all the humans.  I am not a Twilight, or Ann Rice lover, but I do love this show)
  • All Creatures Great and Small (this is my favorite show ever, British show about vets in England in the 1950s, family friendly and awesome, based on a book series by James Herriot)
  • The Walking Dead (it is about a group of survivors in a post apocalyptic zombie world, so scary it gives me nightmares, but I can't stop watching it.  definitely not one for the kids)
  • Burn Notice (about an ex-spy and his friends, they help people with their troubles in creative spy-esque ways.  no foul language, mild violence, some adult themes.  sometimes we watch this with the kids, but only if we have seen the episode first)
  • Warehouse 13 (about a secret government agency that protects the world from "historical artifacts" that cause mayhem.  no coarse language, occasional mild violence, occasionally some episodes are a little scary.  we let our kids watch this, but only if we have previously viewed the episode)
The Girls Current Favorite Shows and Movies

  • Angelina Ballerina (about a little mouse who goes to ballet school, very cute, and a quiet show)
  • Eloise Cartoons (based on the books by Kay Thompson, about a little, mischievous girl who lives at The Plaza with her nanny, turtle, and her pug)
  • Madeline Cartoons (based on the books by Ludwig Bemelmans, about a little french orphan at a catholic boarding school, very cute, one of my favorites from my childhood)
  • The Nutcracker: The Motion Picture (okay everyone knows what this is, and it is AWESOME, my girls must have watched this about 15 times this holiday season, it is beautifully done)
  • Hello Kitty's Furry Tail Theater (this is one of my least favorite shows, very irritating... Hello Kitty characters acting out classic fairy tales.  No content objections, but I could think of less irritating ways to spend 30 minutes).
Not that we spend all day in front of the television, but with Yum Yum's health issues, it was hard to get out as much as we usually do over the summer.  If anyone has any suggestions on shows or movies they like please leave them in my comments, I'm always look for good shows!

1 comment:

  1. And yet another reason to move to the Fort... faster internet!!!

    ReplyDelete